Amplifying Voices for Just Climate Action
Initiative under the Power of Voices framework
‘Amplifying Voices for Just Climate Action’ is a new five year strategic alliance supported by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
What is the Voices for Climate Action programme about?
Climate change is not just purely environmental or physical in nature. It’s also an ethical and political issue, framed as climate justice. We believe it is possible to foster a just transition to low-carbon and climate-resilient futures with a new level of civil society leadership. This will require a renegotiation of already unequal rights and a reimagination of the relationship between people and nature.
Local and global voices
Our Alliance brings together global and local voices by connecting four strong Southern CSOs with two Northern CSOs. Together we have a deep understanding of climate issues, international reach in public and private spheres, experience in capacity strengthening for lobbying and advocacy, strong women’s rights, gender and inclusion programmes and involvement in climate finance mechanisms.
We will work with three main strategic interventions:
- Mutual capacity strengthening for co-creating alternative climate solutions;
- Seek to set the agenda and create a movement on climate action through amplifying alternative storytelling;
- Provide strong joint lobbying & advocacy to make climate policy, practice and finance more responsive to locally shaped climate solutions, making sure civil society will be heard by governments and the private sector.
Who we are
The Alliance consists of Slum Dwellers International, South South North, Fundación Avina, Akina Mama wa Africa, Hivos and WWF-NL (lead partner). Our governance is based on transparency and trust, as well as Southern voice and ownership through broad Southern representation in decision making at all levels.
We have selected a few interesting publications and articles for further reading:
- Read the full programme proposal of our Amplifying Voices for Just Climate Action programme
- Delivering real change: a working paper by IIED about getting international climate finance to the local level
- Unlocking climate finance for decentralised energy access: a study by Hivos providing an overview of present climate finance flows towards decentralised energy access projects
- Article about Taking a Rights Based Approach to Action for Climate Empowerment by the Mary Robinson Foundation
- Civicus.org, a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society throughout the world
- Blog about Going beyond Western models of value to shift the power by Bond.org
- Article about Increasing accountability and safeguarding billions in climate finance by Transparency International
- Conversation about Change the Story: Harnessing the power of narrative for social change by New Tactics