Project Manager Bankable Projects
WWF Netherlands with its head office in Zeist has a wide outreach in Dutch society (671.000 members). It works on the ground with own experts in the Netherlands, and cooperates with governments, Embassies, companies, knowledge institutes, local people and partner organizations.
Abroad WWF NL works with WWF local teams on nine focus areas of WWF globally which include innovations in the following key strategic areas: sustainable food production, sustainable finance, sustainable markets, wildlife protection, forest conservation, climate and energy, marine ecosystem management, nature resource governance and freshwater management. As one of several strategies which WWF NL deploys, it aims to leverage the power of finance to tackle some of the most pressing environmental challenges.
WWF has worked on conservation for decades, achieved many notable successes and over time, evolved and expanded its programmes to meet changing conservation challenges. As problems of governance, scarcity, degradation and pollution have spread and intensified, interest in protecting our natural resources has diversified and has started to bring government, the public, business and investors together to jointly tackle some of the major impacts of economic development on natural capital.
As part of its strategy, WWF NL applies various approaches to reduce pressure on ecosystems. We aim to redirect the funding flow to sustainable practices by working with Finance Institutions (FIs) and better understand how they and their (corporate) clients and investees can mitigate (business) risks and seize opportunities that originate from those practices. We aim to leverage public and private sector financial institutions to influence governments to adopt better governance practices. Simultaneously, we aim to direct funding towards projects with a positive impact on ecosystems and a positive business case, by finding and vetting such projects and connecting those to relevant investors.
The project manager will focus on developing green business propositions, catalyzing bankable projects, for concrete projects on climate-smart agriculture, sustainable water management, food security and ecosystem restoration solutions. These should contribute to climate-resilient and inclusive developments in the landscapes where they are proposed. WWF facilitates public-private collaboration and attraction of investments that will scale up such climate action projects at the landscape level and attract investments both from investors within and outside of the landscape, while tackling the impacts of climate change. The project manager will also analyze business opportunities and existing bottlenecks in order to promote private sector investment in green technologies..
By identifying the right type of projects and supporting those through the process towards getting realized (incl. connecting to adequate funders), we help to create a direct positive impact on the river basins and forestry landscapes we try to protect. Eventually we hope to inspire others to take a similar approach to creating impact. Also, directing funding into improvements in a basins and landscapes puts pressure on local authorities to improve the governance.
You’ll be reporting to the Unit Green Finance WWF NL and have frequent, direct and diverse working relationships and partnerships with external organisations at senior and very senior level (Board level). Represent WWF NL in national and international fora where appropriate.
Role and responsibilities
The main tasks of the Project Coordinator - Bankable Projects will include the following:
- Project management, incl. coordination, planning, implementation and reporting of WWF NL Landscape and Bankable Approach in countries based in the Global South.
- Build relationships with WWF NL colleagues in the conservation and finance departments, as well as with local WWF offices and relevant partner organisations.
- Regularly monitor the implementation progress and collect data on indicators and results.
- Ensure the project is delivering results and contributing towards the objectives and strategies of the donors.
- Support work with local WWF offices on the following:
- Manage stakeholders that include Regulators, Communities, Corporates, Financial Institutions and other NGOs and groups,
- Create a multi-stakeholder platform that builds environmental awareness with the above stakeholders,
- Aid with capturing viable projects in a business plan for presentation to potential investors and banks.
Who are you?
The project coordinator bankable projects must bring a combination of project management experience and a background in finance or business corporate sustainability.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
- Master’s degree in the field of Economics, Finance or Business (preferable)
- Minimum 5 years experience in project management in multi-stakeholder collaborative projects
- Experience with public donors (e.g. the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- Strong financial and budgeting experience
- Experience of working with local offices, consultants and external parties, where necessary, to achieve desired outcomes
- Experience with working with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Desired Skills and Competencies
- Analytical, strategic; sees the big picture
- Proven organizational, diplomatic and negotiating skills that yield positive results on the sustainability agenda, especially as it relates to the finance and business world
- Strong ability to lead the implementation of large-sized projects, including working with and coordinating funding partners, third parties and users
- Ability to work effectively as a team member with a wide range of individuals across cultures and time zones
- Independent worker, pro-active in thinking about opportunities to further improve the work
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience of working in emerging markets is an asset
- Strong interest in nature conservation and the mission of WWF
- Prior experience in assessing financial institutions and climate risks is an advantage
You do recognize yourself in the core values of WWF NL: openness, infectious enthusiasm, impact-driven and pragmatic idealism.
What do we offer?
WWF NL is an enthusiastic and dynamic organisation with an informal working culture. WWF NL has an inspiring purpose and highly qualified and motivated staff. We offer a competitive salary and excellent fringe benefits.
Information and procedure
Are you interested in this position and do you recognize yourself in the above profile? Then we invite you to notify your interest before August 26th by sending an e-mail with motivation and CV to Carolien Bijen, Chief People Officer at HR@wwf.nl. For more detailed information and questions, please contact Aaron Vermeulen, Unit Head Green Finance at email@example.com.